We are planning a Murder Mystery Dinner on February 24, 2018 at St. John’s. Arrive at 5:00 pm to meet the cast members. Dinner at 5:30. Cost $15.00 per person, includes dinner & an evening of intrigue and fun The evening takes place at a diner on the evening of a Reunion of the Lakeside High School.
This is a fund-raiser for the Parish and all profit will go to the General Fund. The Hospitality Group is preparing the dinner and will need help setting up, serving & cleaning up.
Our traditional Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper will be held this year from 5-7pm on February 13th.
We hope lots of St. John’s folks will come and bring some friends to enjoy this pre-Lenten celebration of good food and fellowship.
We always need volunteers to help that day with setting up, cooking pancakes and sausages, providing desserts, serving the tables, and cleaning up afterwards.
If you can help, please sign the volunteers’ clip-board at church or contact Janis Mitchell: as above
Grateful thanks in advance to our many willing workers.
Tickets are $8 for adults and $4 for children, toddlers free. All proceeds will go to our Outreach and Mission projects.
Welcome everyone, I just wanted to say something about our little Wardens group this year. They were so amazing to work with this year. Bonnie, John K, and Peter were all excited at the prospect of pitching in and hosting a volunteer day… of course with our little roof mishap it took us a little longer than planned to get it done, But here we are!!! I hope everyone grabs something to eat and a drink while I take a few minutes to recognize our amazing volunteers here at St. Johns… and remember, It is National Hugging day, so feel free!
First of all, while I ask the hospitality team to raise their hands. This event wouldn’t be the same without your support and guidance…and offering to work the coffee maker is much appreciated! Please give the hospitality team a round of applause for all of their amazing efforts inside and out of the kitchen…even for their own thank you event. Cheers to you Hospitality Team!
Our little church truly does take a village to make our weekly Sundays happen. We think it is important that we spend a few minutes thanking all of the folks who work week in and week out to ensure that we have a welcoming space and organized service for all of our parish to enjoy:
- All of the volunteers who offer to read please raise your hands and any past or present greeters as well. Also those who offer to open and close the church, the chalice bearers, and the folks who now sit at the computer to change the slides; please raise your hands. Thank you to all of you who commit to making each service great, for keeping things running so smoothly (even when they aren’t) and for easing the burden on Wil and the Wardens.
- Could the choir please raise their hands. Thank you so much for adding your voice to our 10:30 service each and every week. Not to mention all of the extra time taken to provide music for special services like Christmas and Easter. [Thank…. You……] (Sung in my less than angelic voice)
- Children and Youth Ministry, could you please identify yourself by raising your hands. You folks are truly creative and exciting and it take a real special type of person to grow the faith in our little people. So from all of the little people… and their parents, Thanks a whole bunch!
- Finally, could the Chancel Guild and flower volunteers please raise your hands. You truly are the backbone of a special service. From the beautiful dedicated flowers, co-ordinating linens, and ensuring the proper readings are out. We really do appreciate all the small things you do for us each week. Here is to you, our amazing Chancel Guild!
Our little church also has many volunteers putting in hundreds of hours to keeping our building and grounds ship shape, and making sure that people all around the community know that we are here. So, with all of our hearts, let’s take some time to thank all of the folks who work tirelessly on our pretty (and leak free) church and spreading the joy and word to the community around us:
- First the Cemetery Board, the Property Chair, and Planning Committee please raise your hands….and let’s not forget those extras who tend to the plants, trees, and even those who help to dig the new graves. For all of the extra work you stepped up to this year, and for continuing to make St. John’s (in my opinion) the most beautiful and inviting church around. You are truly appreciated!
- Next, I would like recognize the Outreach committee, and volunteers who work with the community garden, please raise your hands. I truly feel blessed each time I drive by and see gardeners working away in our previous empty lot…. The work done for the come and mingle, buy a shingle event was an enormous success. Everything from Messy Church, Seniors Dinner, to Social Injustice, and all things in between… we thank you!
- Thursday Ladies, Bible Study, Scrabble Club, and Fundraiser organizers, please raise your hands. For keeping these groups quietly going for years on end and providing fellowship and fun in things like our Winter Bazaar, Paint Night, Vandermeer Gift Certificates, She Sings Concert, and the Greek Dinner night; we appreciate you!
- Finally, Can the Webmaster, Events Co-ordinator, and our amazing Office assistants please raise their hands…. And all those people who did some advertising and event management please also raise your hand. For communicating all our events to those near and far… for answering endless emails and phone calls, and for keeping it all straight and everyone informed, Thanks a bunch!
As for the rest of our behind the scenes volunteers, they’re pretty darned special too!! It takes a special group of people to keep our village in the black and in compliance so that everyone can continue doing what they love worry free. The Wardens and I are thankful that so many step forward year after year to ease the burden on Wil and Us, and are always up to the task to lend a hand when asked.
- To start our list, our Treasurer please raise your hand to be recognised. For by far the most paper shuffling and tracking down of people, and the person who affects the mood the most during our Wardens meetings. For all of the hard work you have done to ensure we use our money wisely, and keep our books in check for many….many….many….many….many years, thanks for being so awesome.
- Our Counters, envelope Secretary, Stewardship Chair, and those who complete Internal Auditing of books please raise your hand. Without you there would be no money (or Fundscript)! Thanks for making sure everything balances and everything is accounted for (even when it is character building). Also, most importantly giving us the feeling that we are giving of our gifts appropriately, and that they are in good hands week after week. Hats off to you!!
- Finally, our Vestry clerk, Parochial Tribunal, Screening Committee, and Lay members of synod please raise your hands. For representing your church in very important ways, to ensuring that we are in compliance and informed of new and upcoming information…. And all the little extras we know you do, you deserve a big thank you!
St John’s Anglican Church
Port Whitby, Ontario
Notice of 2018 Vestry
Sunday February 4, 2018
Following the 10:30 AM Service
St John’s Parish Hall (Basement)
Light lunch and refreshments will be served.
All parish members encouraged to attend.
Please join us for one of our Christmas Services this year:
Sunday, December 24th:
10:00am : Carol Service
7:00pm: Family Service
11:15pm: Midnight Eucharist
Monday December 25th:
10:00am BCP Eucharist
St. John’s Call newsletter now available by email:
Subscribe to the St. John’s email list by sending and email to email@example.com and receive the color version PDF of our newsletter directly to your INBox, along with occasional parish announcements and upcoming events.
Your email address remains private, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
The Performance will take place at St. John’s Anglican Church on Saturday, December 16that 6pm. The cost is $5 at the door.
The concert will feature “She Sings Chamber Choir” lead by Courtney Dakers, joined by the lovely Sarah Tsang and special guests!
The concert will be a combination of our holiday season favourites, classical and popular music.
The concert serves as an opportunity to share music and to support St. John’s Anglican church.
Join us in supporting the talent and hard work of our Durham and Clarington musicians!
The Church has arranged with the Salvation Army, Whitby, to supplement the Christmas hampers for families with gifts for older children, teens and preteens. Quite often this age group is missed, in the gifts included in the Christmas hampers.
Salvation Army has suggested the following gifts for this age group.
For Girls: nail polish , make-up , scarves , jewelry , necklaces , craft kits of a variety of types. [ for example beading kits, art supplies, knitting kits]
For boys: LEGO kits , model sets ,shaving stuff , Hot Wheels cars and winter scarves.
For both, boys and girls, Gift cards from Walmart, in any denomination, $10, $15, $20 and Movie tickets.
All gifts and toys should be NEW.
Tinned and dry foods are always welcome and specifically, baby food is needed.
Food will be used for the Whitby food bank.
Please bring your gifts on December 10th. With Thanks,
Contact Us at St. John’s
Church Office: 905-668-1822
150 Victoria St. E.
***Ample parking is available past the church on Victoria St.***
Incumbent: The Reverend Wil Stonehill
Incumbent’s Mobile: 905-743-0977